Crefovi has a team of M&A lawyers, who have extensive experience in advising clients on hostile takeovers and unsolicited bids.
Assisting clients as they face the challenges of hostile takeovers and unsolicited bids
Crefovi has a roster of clients, which includes all of the major participants in Mergers & acquisitions transactions, including hostile bidders and potential ‟white knight” suitors, as well as their debt financing sources and financial advisors, as well as the target companies themselves. Consequently, Crefovi has developed a strong and experienced ‟Hostile takeovers and unsolicited bids” practice.
Indeed, Crefovi’s team has the experience and legal knowledge vital to navigating overwhelming situations such as these. In the preliminary stages of a client’s evaluation of a potential unsolicited bid, the M&A lawyers of Crefovi:
- assess the target company’s vulnerability to an unsolicited takeover;
- anticipate the target company’s likely defensive strategies;
- analyze potential legal impediments to an unsolicited takeover, including under applicable antitrust/competition and other regulatory regimes, and
- advise on a bidder’s proposed financing package, including an assessment of the target company’s debt capital structure for any required refinancing of the target company’s public and/or private debt.
Once a determination is made to proceed with an unsolicited bid, Crefovi’s M&A lawyers:
- prepare privately proposed bids or public ‟bear hug” overtures;
- launch and implement hostile tender offers and related proxy contests;
- advise on compliance with applicable national, state or foreign takeover regimes;
- negotiate debt financing commitments with potential lenders, and
- assist alternative ‟white knight” suitors or other transaction participants.
In addition, Crefovi’s M&A litigators are actively involved, from the outset, in planning for and implementing the optimal litigation strategies in connection with hostile takeover bids.
A global network
Clients praise Crefovi’s lawyers for their responsiveness & ability to understand the technical, business and legal aspects of each matter in relation to hostile takeovers and unsolicited bids, and come back, matter after matter, to be advised by them.
While London and Paris based, we routinely work across borders. The vast majority of our engagements are multi-jurisdictional. We are used to working in multinational teams, and rely on our network of specialist lawyers for support in other jurisdictions.
The team has therefore established an extensive international network of mergers & acquisitions contacts and a close association with other specialist lawyers worldwide. Our history of successes in high profile, politically sensitive matters reflects an ability to act swiftly and with the utmost discretion.